Zuzzy mat Phase 1 – Completed!

Monday, May 13th, 2013

Phase 1 of my zuzzy mat project is hereby completed. *insert merry laughter and cheering crowd*

The last week or so I’ve posted a few status updates, and now it’s finally done. Well, not 100% done, but completed for now. Explanation below!

20130512-125101.jpg

The final stage of my mat was simply to wash it. This was pretty nervewrecking as I didn’t want to ruin the entire mat, but after some try-outs on the sample piece I went along and did it – And as you can see, it didn’t look very tasteful.

At this stage it looked like baby-poo. I’m a father and know these things.

20130510-095747.jpg

20130510-095753.jpg

Ah, What have I done?!

After a day of drying though, it didn’t end up as bad as I initially feared.

20130511-091944.jpg

Ah, Look what I’ve done!

20130512-125101.jpg

And here we are with some random terrain scattered across it, zoomed in –ย Monster trees.

There, Phase 1 completed. Since I’m aiming for a winter/tundra themed board, I’m obviously going to need to paint some snow as well, but for now it’ll have to do. I still need a big bottle of acrylic white paint before I can do that. Hopefully I can give it its maiden voyage tomorrow, with some Mordheim!

Ingredients

Drybrush (Dryroller?) – Warm Gray

Brickwork – Cadmium Red, Deep

Crevices – GW Black ink, or Chaos black and water.

Wash – Burnt Sienna mixed with Raw Sienna and a lot of water.

Special thanks to Sho3box for posting an excellent tutorial!

Advertisements

8 comments on “Zuzzy mat Phase 1 – Completed!

  1. sho3box says:

    The mat looks great. Washing big flat areas with “baby poo” takes a certain amount of nerve. I had similar reservations about washing my Zuzzy mats but once they had dried I regularly wished that I had used a more opaque mix than I had.

    The red brick areas under the tarmac look very vivid in the photos, possibly a bit too vivid maybe? A couple of dirty dark washes over those might help with the look maybe. Not that its any of my business really ๐Ÿ™‚

    Good work. Im looking forward to seeing what other terrain elements you get onto next.

    • markus says:

      Thanks a lot! Couldn’t have done it without you ๐Ÿ˜‰

      I agree, I think the red areas might need some washing. I play around some with the mat and will probably do it at the same time I’ll “snowify” it.

      Thanks for the input!

      • sho3box says:

        Snowy terrain adds something special, but I have never been able to commit to putting snow on everything. Coherent projects like yours, where the terrain and the miniature bases and (soon) the table surface all have the same interesting treatment sometimes makes me reconsider (if only for a moment).

        Keep it up ๐Ÿ™‚

      • markus says:

        Since I had 0 terrain and such before, I figured I could just as well do something “fun”. I began this project because I moved away from the town where my local gaming club was, and needed somewhere to game. So yeah, since it was a blank slate I could go a bit nuts! ๐Ÿ™‚

  2. That looks so effective! Very cool.

  3. […] like with the other mat I started with a grey roller-drybrush and afterwards picked out the details (tree […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: