A bit over a year ago a began my Dark Debts crew project, and now I’ve finally come to the point where it feels about as done as it’ll ever get…
Right from when I first spotted the artwork, I knew I needed myself some Lynch. Card tricks and such just tickles me in the right kind of fancy. Every individual piece has already been blogged about in their respective posts, so I’m not going to go through them all, but I might just as well mention the highlights/concerns of the project:
- Made me realize I do too much purple. I now have two purple masters and an entirely purple crew…
- The first batch of plastic that Wyrd released wasn’t that super. Jacob Lynch ended up with a mean moustache instead of a dapper vandyke, because his face wasn’t properly sculpted.
- Painting poker chips and cards is hard work.
- Painting cards is a lot easier once you switch from brush to Micron pen.
- Tuco makes a mean cosplayer.
- Hungering Darkness is a boring and pretty ugly model. Anglerfish it up all you want, it’s still the worst model of the lot.
- On the issues of sculpt quality and Hungering Darkness one could always hope for a new box set, but it’s not something I’m holding my breath for. If Lynch gets an avatar, that’ll make up for all the past sins.
So far I’ve only played one game with Lynch, and that was through Vassal, so not even “in real life”, but I hope to change that in 2014. The keen observant might also notice that there’s 2 Illuminated and 1 Depleted missing. They’re not there because they’re not painted – and I don’t plan on painting them anytime soon either. There’s just too much other stuff left to paint – models I might actually use. 3 Illuminated might be very swell in game, but the reason I got started with the Dark Debts is partly because of Mr. Graves and Mr. Tannen (they’re so badass cool), so someone had to go. If I ever feel the need I could bother with one more Illuminated, but not at the time.
All in all it has been a fun project, with lots of little “mini-conversions” to keep my interest up.
Jacob Lynch, Mr. Tannen, Mr. Graves, The Hungering Darkness, Illuminated, 2x Depleted, 2x Beckoners, Tuco (up on the balcony), 2x Stitched Together, 6x Scheme markers
When you roll a 7 in the game Craps it’s called ‘Up pops the devil’. A suitable roll, if there ever was any!..I’m so clever.
The Arcane Effigy (to the left) and Baby Kade gets honorable mentions. Arcane Effigy gave Lynch additional card manipulation skills in last edition of Malifaux, but now it can’t be hired by him anymore. Plus, it seems like it will work all different, so it wouldn’t have made the cut anyways.
Baby Kade got shafted mainly because I forgot him when I took the group shot, but also because he’s a 7 soulstone model in a crew where everything else costs about as much, so I doubt he’ll be part of the gang that often. He does have Pounce though, which synergizes nicely with Beckoners. Hmm. Maybe one day… Plus, he’s purple.